In developing Primary Colours/Couleurs primaires the concept of Incubation Projects was built in to its design from the beginning. The concept of incubation is based on the frequently missed opportunities that occur when artists and other folks get together in large gatherings. Fresh ideas often get planted in those contexts but they usually do not have the occasion to germinate after the event, as people return to their daily lives, their work and their families.
We put aside some seed funding so that when the sparks fly up from the bonfire started at the Lekwungen Gathering they will alight somewhere else across Canada. With this modest seed funding, we can then gently blow on the embers to encourage new fires.
These Incubation Projects are supported by Musagetes, the McConnell Foundation and the Canada Council for the Arts.
Incubation Projects provide a unique framework for cultural critique, for building collaborative art opportunities and for supporting new IBPoC initiatives.
We have developed some simple points of reference for these projects and flexibly apply them when considering what to support. These criteria suggest that all projects:
• Arise from artists and/or arts communities in their specific region
• Generally further the goals of Primary Colours/Couleurs primaires
• Co-present with a sponsoring non-profit arts organization
• Propose activities that these arts organizations do not normally do
• Encourage other appropriate partnerships to amplify the results
• Take place within a broadly defined arts-related context.